Evidence backed resources for professional development, self-improvement and personal change
Who is behind Self Determined Life?
Martin Cole is a British born lawyer, compliance professional and coach and the founder and editor of SelfDeterminedLife.com. He is a professionally certified organisational and executive coach and has a Masters (M.Sc.) in Coaching Psychology.
Self Determined Life provides evidence-backed strategies to help you build the mental tools you need to manage the complexities, uncertainties and pressures you confront on a daily basis in professional and personal life.Learn more about us
- How goals work: 14 key research based findingsGoals are the invisible forces that drive our actions, shape our achievements, and influence our motivation. They can be defined as internal representations of desired futures states (Austin and Vancouver, 1996) Understanding how goals work can transform the way we approach … Read more
- Breaking down big goals: 6 steps that are critical to successBreaking Down Big Goals Many of us look to improve our lives and feel a sense of achievement by setting ourselves big, important goals. Whether in our personal or professional lives, setting ambitious targets can definitely be motivating. However, it is … Read more
- 20 different types of goals for more powerful goal-settingWhen it comes to goals, goal theory and goal setting, most people know the SMART goal framework – goals should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-Bound. And there is no doubt, this framework is well-known because it is useful and … Read more
- 11 principles for overcoming obstacles to achieve goalsOvercoming obstacles to achieve goals is a fundamental aspect of performance, personal growth and change. Whether you’re aiming for professional success, educational achievement, or personal satisfaction, challenges are inevitable. The key to maintaining momentum in the face of these hurdles is … Read more
- Introduction to goal theory: Insights into effective goal settingGoal theory is a fundamental aspect of psychology, particularly when it comes to understanding motivation and the mechanics behind successful goal attainment. It helps explain why setting specific, challenging and attainable objectives is crucial for individuals seeking to bring about meaningful … Read more
- Creating a motivating environment at home and work: strategies for peak performanceCreating a motivating environment is essential for both home and work life, impacting your motivation and productivity levels significantly. At home, the place where you recharge, the aim is to craft a space conducive to relaxation and personal growth.Whereas at work, … Read more
- Physical exercise and willpower: strengthen your body and your mindWillpower is much like a muscle – it can be strengthened with practice and persistence. When you engage in regular physical exercise, you’re not just building up your stamina or sculpting your physique; you’re also enhancing your self-control. This boost in … Read more
- Motivation and failure: How to motivate yourself when you have failedEncountering failure can be a powerful moment of growth, despite the initial discomfort it brings. It’s an opportunity to reignite your motivation, a challenge to rise above the setbacks and move towards your goals. The key point is to understand that … Read more